Your Feet Really Are Amazing!!
No, really! Most of us take our feet for granted and simply see them as the things we balance on to get from A to B. If we think about them at all. But our feet work so hard for us, and from an osteopath’s point of view, they’re bio-mechanically brilliant .
Speaking of points, some of us thank our tireless tootsies by jamming them unceremoniously into elegant-but-evil heels and all kinds of other unsupportive footwear, and then we wonder why each day starts to feel increasingly like we’re walking on Lego – boiling hot Lego made of microscopic knives.
It’s time we start to do our feet a solid and start to really appreciate them for all they do for us. Here are a few things you might not know about your lesser appreciated extremities:
● Your foot and ankle contain an amazing 26 bones – that’s a quarter of the entire number of bones in your whole body.
● The foot has a whopping 33 joints!
● It also has more than 100 tendons, ligaments and muscles.
● On each sole, you have between 100,000 to 200,000 nerve endings.
● Over 75% of the population will experience foot problems in their lifetime. Ouch.
● Women have 4 times the amount of foot problems as men.